John Pirie Secondary School is a school which is characterised by progressive approaches to teaching and learning. If you want to be part of a close knit learning community and a stimulating professional environment, come to John Pirie Secondary School.
Port Pirie is a safe, friendly country community which offers excellent housing, shopping (extended hours, 7 days a week), and facilities.
Message from the Principal Roger Nottage
John Pirie Secondary School is continuing to move ahead in providing the right education for every student. Here we pursue excellence in all areas of a student's development, academically, socially, culturally and physically.
We are not frightened of change, and examine new ways carefully, and if our students are advantaged, we implement them with care.
At John Pirie Secondary School, our approach to learning develops the unique talents and interests of each young person.
A major feature is to work with every young person to develop a strong career pathway that will enable them to proudly take their place in our Australian democratic society.
Our school values are Respect, Tolerance, Diversity, Pride, and Participation. These underpin all of our work to ensure each student is engaged in their learning.
All members of the administration team and all coordinators have been appointed by our school through application and interview. These people have been chosen for their leadership skills, ability to model excellent teaching practice, and their care for our students.
Our highly skilled staff works closely with the Student Representative Council and our parents through our Governing Council. Our commitment to maintaining excellent communication channels between the school and parents is enabling our whole school community to move forward together. Our strategic priorities are:
- Literacy and Numeracy
- Career Education through University and Vocational Education Pathways
- Aboriginal Education
- New SACE and the Australian Curriculum
- Teaching and Learning including Digital Education
Through each priority we are ensuring that our education and care programs are of the best possible quality. We provide a safe and supportive environment that promotes mutual respect and tolerance for others, self confidence, responsible decision making and acknowledges and celebrates personal and team achievement.
Parents, caregivers and friends are very welcome to contact me at school for further information or to arrange to visit our school. It will be our pleasure to walk around the school with you while the students are in class and tell you about our school programs and answer your questions.Roger Nottage
We are committed to developing all the dimensions of our learners: social, emotional, intellectual, physical and spiritual. We aim to provide students with supportive, caring, safe and respectful school and classroom environments.The school values are:
We work with the school community to ensure that every student is provided with the support and opportunity to successfully participate in learning programs and achieve the best possible educational outcomes.We believe that all students enrolled with us:
- Can and want to learn
- Have a right to participate and be successful in their learning
- Have a right to learn in a safe and supportive environment
Students are required to:
- Attend school every day (unless unable for medical reasons or for reasons approved by school)
- Be punctual in attending care group and all timetabled lessons
- Complete all class work and assignments (including homework) by the negotiated deadlines
- Inform the school when they will be absent from school, or are unable to complete set work
- Accept that other students have the right to enjoy a learning environment which is safe, free from harassment, and where teachers manage inappropriate behaviour
- Be civil and courteous towards other students and staff
- Follow the school rules and policies
- Comply with the requirements of the Uniform Policy established by the Governing Council
Principal: Mr Roger Nottage
40 Mary Elie Street
PORT PIRIE South Australia 5540
T: (08) 86 321 763
F: (08) 86 323 195
There are no upcoming events currently scheduled.View full calendar
Department of Education & Children's Services trading as South Australian Government Schools